Sunday, July 5, 2009

kingfishers#8, Inner Dialogue Continued.


A Parable

In my memory it seems as though it actually happed this way! I will relate it to you.



Always I felt that strange presence. It seemed to follow me everywhere, yet I could never quite understand who, or what it was. It annoyed me, dogging my footsteps, intruding into my thoughts and making me conscious of my every word. While walking along the path one day, unprovoked, unexpected, I stopped suddenly and turned 180 degrees on my heels and confronted him.

“Why are you following me!”

“But I'm not.”

“You are always right behind me.”

“Well, if you walked more slowly we could walk side by side, perhaps even talk with one another.”

“And you always seem to turn up, where ever I am.”

“Yes, that’s true.”

“And why would I want to walk beside you, and talk with you?”

“This is a useless question, neither of us has a choice, we may as well make the best of it, you are rather amusing you know.”

“Who are you?” I demanded.

But he didn’t answer, and putting his hand on my shoulder started us down the path again.

In time I became quite accustomed to him. Although he could be rather difficult, he was also a good companion, overall very fair, and at times quite funny.


I also came to realize that he was a rather attractive person and came to be quite glad of his company.


We eventually came to a place where the path was blocked by a lake. He went to find a boat while I rested. He returned with small row boat which we got into and he started rowing across the lake. The sun was high and I became drowsy, but suddenly my attention was caught by a kingfisher diving into the water. The bird caught a fish, and as he rose above the surface the writhing of the fish sent shots of fire from it’s scales. I turned to point this out to my companion, but he wasn’t there, and I was rowing. Finally I understood and I felt whole.


No comments: